Sunday, March 31, 2013

Book Review #17: We're losing our minds

I ordered the book We're losing our minds: Rethinking American Higher Education written by Richard P. Keeling and Richard H. Hersch in 2012 after reading a review by @joesabado on Goodreads.

The main premise behind this book is that American institutions of Higher Education have shifted their focus away from being places of 'learning' towards a place of higher rating than its neighbours. Although the arguments themselves made a lot of sense (and I certainly couldn't argue with many of the points made), the book itself was a bit winded and made for a slow read.

I definitely took my time getting through this one (2 weeks is a long time for me to take to read a book), but it was worth reading just for the fact that it offered some strong arguments, as well as a few suggestions of discussion points to encourage change.  Not quite a page-turner, but an interesting read nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment